About EMDThe Exploration and Mining Division (EMD) is a line division of the Department of Communications, Climate Action and Environment.
EMD's remit includes:
- Regulation and permitting of exploration for and extraction of minerals (excluding petroleum, stone, sand, gravel and clay);
- Promoting inward investment;
- Policy development;
- Representing and protecting the State’s interests;
- The exclusive right to work all minerals regardless of ownership (with a few minor exceptions);
- Rehabilitation of former mine sites where the Minister has an identified role.